About a month ago, ponsey on Slickdeals posted that Nationwide Bank was running a promotion where if you sign up for their Buxx Card (a prepaid card) and loaded it with at least $25, they would give you a promotional $50. I had something completely missed this post, and hadn’t seen it until yesterday evening while I was doing my regular round on Slickdeals.
I went ahead and signed up for the promotion since it seemed that folks were indeed getting their $50 promotional credit, although in some cases it came as late as 3 weeks after the sign up. It seems that the promotion code still works, so I would encourage any of you that can spare $25 to take part in this promotion with me, and score yourself some free cash.
The instructions to take part in this promotion are below. Please be sure to follow the steps, especially the part about entering the promo code when adding a new teen.
- Go to the Visa Buxx page by clicking here & click Enroll
- Sign up as a PARENT to claim the offer
- Continue creating your account and as soon as you see the “Add New Teen” tab, click on it.
- Use any information to “add a teen.” You can just use your own social security number again to add a teen.
- When you come to the box that asks your for a promo code, use the code: 02010059
- For the new teen card you are creating, make sure your initial load is at least $25.
- Wait two to three weeks for your Buxx card with a $50 bonus to arrive in the mail (note: your Buxx card may arrive before your bonus card)
Once you receive your Buxx card and the $50 bonus, you can use both on your everyday shopping, or just use an ATM to withdraw the extra cash. Keep in mind there are ATM fees associated with withdrawing, so it might be better if you simply just spend it. (Or you can use a merchant payment like Square to just pay yourself and take the 2.7% charge (which would be about $2 total…which means you’d still be making around $48 off of this).
The whole sign-up process and ordering that for Buxx card (including funding it) only took 6 minutes of my time. +$50 promotional card in 6 minutes? Good deal in my opinion. Worth the effort.