United Credit Card holders (i.e. United Explorer Credit Card, United MileagePlus Credit Card) will be happy to know that United is running a special promotion where you can earn a bonus 5,000 United miles if you spend at least $1,000 on your United credit card by the end of October.
- You must register for the promotion first here.
- After you registering, you must make purchases on your United credit card totaling at least $1,000.00 USD.
- It is only valid for United Credit Card holders who have had their credit cards on or prior to August 1, 2012.
- Only one 5,000 bonus credit is available per United MileagePlus number (sorry, no double or triple dipping into this bonus even if you have multiple United credit cards).
- The spend requirement must be met by the end of October 31, 2012. (I recommend doing it as early as possible.)
- Please allow 8-10 weeks for the bonus miles to post.
A few ways to meet the $1,000 limit if you don’t normally spend that much in a month:
- Pre-pay your insurance and/or utilities/phone bills for the rest of the calendar year. (Or longer if you can afford to.)
- Take advantage of this upcoming week’s Staples’ deal on MasterCard gift cards that give you in return a $10 Staples gift card as a rebate. Then keep the Staples gift cards for yourself (best used on free after rebate purchases), and then use the MasterCard gift cards to spend on normal purchases throughout the month or save them up as holiday gifts.
- Pre-pay for the rest of the calendar year worth of gasoline by purchasing gas cards or gasoline gift cards. (For those of us in California, this option alone might actually meet the entire spend limit… haha. Sad…)
- Go travel somewhere with friends, and volunteer yourself as the planner by booking all the rooms & flights and then putting everything on your card. (And at the same time, don’t forget to get extra miles and points via the airlines and hotels you stay at!)
Tip of the hat goes to Mommy Points on the find. (She also has a great miles blog, so check it out!)
UPDATE 10/8/12 at 4:16 PM Pacific: It looks like United has changed the terms of the promotion and has made it no longer available in the United States. If you already registered for the promotion, you can risk trying it out but it looks too risky in my opinion. Check out Mommy Points’ blog post update for the details.